November 1, 2017
Common Health Issues for Seniors Over 65
With today’s higher life expectancy, 65 years of age can now mean looking forward to a meaningful rest of your life, given that you manage your health closely to avoid health risks associated with older age. According to the Centers…
Share This Story
With today’s higher life expectancy, 65 years of age can now mean looking forward to a meaningful rest of your life, given that you manage your health closely to avoid health risks associated with older age. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) 41% of people over 65 say their health is great, but for the remaining 59% these health concerns can be a challenge.
The obvious health choices such as keeping a healthy diet, physical activity, avoiding alcohol and tobacco come to mind, but acute awareness of some of these common chronic illnesses is key.
Affects 49.7 percent of all adults over 65 and causes not only joint pain but can lower quality of life by discouraging physical activity. Read more.
2. Heart Disease
The leading killer of adults over age 65, and responsible for almost half a million deaths in 2014. Chronic heart disease affects 37% of men and 26% of women 65 and older. Read more.
The second leading cause of death among adults over age 65, with 413,885 deaths in 2014, according to the CDC. If caught early, many types of cancer are treatable. Read more.
4. Respiratory Diseases
Third most common cause of death among people 65 and older, with 124,693 deaths in 2014, according to the CDC. Increases vulnerability to infections while reducing quality of life. Read more.
5. Alzheimer’s Disease
Responsible for 92,604 deaths of people over age 65 in 2014. Impacts issues from self-care safety to the cost of professional care, either at home or at a residential facility. Read more.
Estimates put 54 million Americans over age of 50 affected by low bone mass or osteoporosis. This raises risk for a fracture or break that could lead to poor senior health and reduced quality of life. Read more.
Affects 25 percent of people ages 65 and older. It has caused 54,161 deaths among adults over age 65 in 2014. Can be diagnosed and addressed early with simple blood tests for blood sugar levels. Read more.
8. Influenza and Pneumonia
Although not chronic conditions, these infections are among the top eight causes of death in people over age 65. Seniors are more vulnerable to these diseases and less able to fight them off. Read more.
As body weight increases, so does the risk for disease. Adults between 65 and 74, 36.2 percent of men and 40.7 percent of women are obese. Read more.
Chicken pox can come back as shingles in your adult life. One in three people over 60 will get shingles, and 50 percent of all Americans will experience it before they’re 80.