May 10, 2022
Medicare Benefits: Does Medicare Cover Diabetes Supplies | US MED®
Are you wondering if Medicare will cover your purchase from US MED? Find out more about Medicare coverage and our wide selection of diabetes supplies.
Share This Story
At US MED®, our goal is nothing less than to be the nation’s best provider of diabetes supplies. That commitment to quality goes beyond our wide selection of products and unmatched customer service. In addition to accepting 900+ private insurance carriers, we accept Medicare and can even directly bill Medicare for eligible items.
However, understanding the ins and outs of Medicare coverage can be confusing for anyone. Read on for a complete breakdown of how Medicare requirements and benefits apply to the products sold by US MED®.
Does Medicare Cover Continuous Glucose Monitors
Continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) are a relatively new development in diabetes management, but they’ve already had an enormous impact. With that in mind, you’ll be pleased to learn that CGMs are now covered under Medicare Part B. Medicare started covering “therapeutic CGMs” (that is, CGMs the FDA has approved for use in making decisions related to diabetes treatment) in 2017.
Previously, people who wanted to get CGMs through Medicare had to prove that they did traditional blood glucose tests at least four times each day. However, recent updates have eliminated this requirement and introduced other changes. To make sure you qualify for a CGM through Medicare, talk to your doctor or healthcare team.
Dexcom G6 and FreeStyle Libre 2 are Covered by Medicare
The FreeStyle Libre 14 day system is one of our most popular CGMs covered by Medicare. Medicare also covers the FreeStyle Libre 2 system, which builds on the original system by adding glucose level alarms and digital communication with other devices. Along with these options, you can get Medicare coverage for the Dexcom G6 CGM System.
Are Diabetes Testing Supplies Covered by Medicare
Traditional blood sugar monitors, test strips, lancets, and control solutions are all covered under Medicare Part B. If you’re a Medicare patient with diabetes who uses insulin, you can get up to 300 lancets and 300 test strips every three months.
Medicare patients with diabetes who don’t use insulin can still get these products, but not in the same amount. Instead, they’re eligible for 100 lancets and test strips in a three-month period. (However, you can increase your coverage without using insulin if your doctor says it’s a medical requirement and you provide extra documentation.)
The True Metrix Air, Prodigy AutoCode, and Embrace glucose meters are all covered by Medicare and available from US MED®. We also sell test strips and control solutions compatible with these meters.
Insulin Pumps Covered by Medicare
If you need a tubed insulin pump (i.e., an insulin pump you wear outside your body), it may be covered under Medicare Part B if you have diabetes and meet certain conditions. The same holds true for the insulin used to fill these pumps. Under Original Medicare, you’ll need to pay 20 percent of the amount approved by Medicare for these products after your annual Part B deductible. Medicare will cover the remaining 80 percent.
Medicare Part B covers the Tandem t:slim X2. Meanwhile, tubless options including the Insulet OmniPod, OmniPod DASH, and the brand new Omnipod 5 are covered under Medicare Part D. Of course, all of these insulin pump options are available from US MED®!
Smart Insulin Pens, Insulin Pen Needles, and Syringes
Devices used to administer insulin- including insulin pens, needles, and syringes - are covered under Medicare Part D for Medicare patients with diabetes. One unique product in this category available from US MED® is the InPen, a “smart insulin pen” that offers personalized recommendations for insulin dosage. Along with that, we carry needles and syringes in various sizes.
Does Medicare cover CPAP Masks and Sleep Apnea Supplies
While obstructive sleep apnea and insulin resistance may be linked, not all people with diabetes on Medicare are eligible for CPAPs and related accessories. First, you’ll need to be diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea; in that case, Medicare may cover a three-month CPAP trial. If your doctor finds that this therapy improves your condition, Medicare could also cover CPAP supplies in the long term.
Are you living with diabetes and sleep apnea? If so, explore US MED®’s selection of CPAP accessories. We sell nasal pillow masks, nasal masks, and full-face masks for CPAP users.
If you’re still wondering about Medicare coverage for US MED® products, we’d be happy to help! Give us a call at 1-877-840-8218 to discuss this topic or any other questions you may have.